The Airdrie & District Agricultural Society was incorporated over a century ago in 1909. While it did not operate for some years after the original incorporation took place, the group came together once again in 1974.
Today, we are 1 of 293 Ag Societies in the Province of Alberta. We receive a small base grant from the Province of Alberta as long as we are members in good standing and engage in at least one agricultural related activity each year - which we do with great pride!
Over the years, we have helped to build our community; some of our past works include:
- Obtaining funding and supporting construction of Airdrie's Plainsmen and Twin Arenas (recently renamed the Ron Ebbesen Arena). Operated these facilities for 14 years before turning them over to the City of Airdrie in 2006.
- Launched what is now the very successful Airdrie Home & Lifestyle Show; it started out as the Annual Seed and Machinery Show.
- Acquired land for the Chinook Winds Ball Diamonds in 1998.
- Successfully operated a City Slicker's Harvest program for many years, allowing urban youth to experience what agriculture has to offer.
- Donated a colourful food storage facility to the Airdrie Food Bank.